The Mayor’s Health & Fitness Council (MHFC) recently recognized Austin’s top health and wellness programs for businesses and organizations via the Mayor’s Health & Fitness Awards. At their annual event in Austin City Hall, The University of Texas at Austin won the 2018 Healthiest Workplace Award .
UT Austin was cited for many of its outstanding health offerings for faculty staff and students:
- Tobacco-free campus and comprehensive tobacco-free initiatives
- Healthy Vending machines
- Farm-to-work programs and student-led farm stand
- Onsite fitness and healthy cooking classes
- Yoga for Anxiety classes for employees
- Keep UT System Active program
- UT “Mammo Mixers” at St. David’s Breast Center
- Holistic approach to wellness focusing on physical, mental and emotional, and financial health
The Mayor’s Health and Fitness Council created the program in 2007 to inspire workplaces to create comprehensive wellness programs and policies. The Mayor’s Health & Fitness Awards highlight local workplaces and schools that have implemented healthy changes to create environments that support health and well-being.